Wednesday 14 March 2007

Bitten in the ass

Most of the time, when I do things with kind intentions, I always get it in the ass later.

Yesterday, I wanted to warn my colleague that some customers were expecting her and she was not there yet. The customers were making comments and the most important and senior one commented in Mandarin to the rest of them if something had happened to cause a delay in a grudging way. Hearing that, I asked another colleague if I should give her a call but my other colleague who also heard that comment said get one of her good friends to do it (she is as unpredictable as the weather).

We asked one of her good friends and she was told that there was a jam on the road. So we went back to our own business and when I came back from a programme, I saw her. I asked her if we won and she said it wasn't a competition. Anyway, I relayed what happened in the morning and she said that she must go find out who was the person that started the rumour of the customer commenting on her lateness as she confronted the customer and the customer insisted that her daughter was the one with the grudges, not her. The customer has her number and will call her if she has any questions!

I told her what I heard and in that case, I am the one that she's looking for. She gave me a stare and said that she should come kick my ass and I stood my ground. I heard it in Mandarin and but failed to tell that almost anyone who can understand Mandarin heard it. I said that she must have been repeating what her daughter said then to tell the daughter off.

Go ahead and think that I'm trying to drive a wedge between her and the customer. Truth is that when you want to be kind, choose your audience with care. I wrote this down to remind myself that not everyone is worth it. Sometimes, the truth kills.

No comments: