Sunday 4 January 2009

Whatif

I am a deep thinker, although I know sometimes I do appear bimbotic.

This poem by
Shel Silverstein describes me perfectly, and also my friend who spent all night drinking coffee and thinking about things that should not bother us too much, if only we dare to do something about it. I know I am a wimp, but my friend's not. My friend's just despondent. My friend should not let whatifs manifest.

I know I have loads of whatifs but I know that even if I should be wimpy now, I will get out of my box one day or soon.
SO FRIEND, GET OUT AND START THINKING STRAIGHT!
Whatif
Last night, while I lay thinking here,
some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
and pranced and partied all night long
and sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif I'm dumb in school?
Whatif they've closed the swimming pool?
Whatif I get beat up?
Whatif there's poison in my cup?
Whatif I start to cry?
Whatif I get sick and die?
Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?
Whatif I don't grow talle?
Whatif my head starts getting smaller?
Whatif the fish won't bite?
Whatif the wind tears up my kite?
Whatif they start a war?
Whatif my parents get divorced?
Whatif the bus is late?
Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?
Whatif I tear my pants?
Whatif I never learn to dance?
Everything seems well, and then
the nighttime Whatifs strike again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whatif the present is your past?
whatif it was just a rose tinted glass?
whatif you didn't follow your hunch?
whatif there was too much rum in the punch?

i like silverstein.